Best COVID-19 Travel Insurance in HK 2022
With the spread of Omicron, your travel plans may well be disrupted. Wondering what travel insurance in Hong Kong covers COVID 19-related issues? To save you from doing your own research, MoneySmart has put together a quick overview relating to travel insurance that offer COVID 19 coverage for you.
COVID-19 Travel Insurance Guide
Click the buttons below to jump to the sections you want to learn more about:
Best COVID-19 Travel Insurance Policies
Unlock More COVID-19 Travel Insurance Offers Now!
MoneySmart helps you compare Travel Insurance with COVID-19 Coverage in HK. Simply select the "COVID-19 coverage" filter and you will be shown all relevant travel insurance plans with COVID-19 cover. Get your discount Now!
Top countries that require COVID-19 Insurance for foreign travelers:
- Cayman Islands
- Costa Rica
- Thailand (no longer require mandatory COVID-19 travel insurance)
Although many countries have loosen their travel restrictions, it is always safer to buy a travel insurance that offers COVID-19 coverage, so that you are protected against any medical emergencies and unexpected events during the pandemic.
Things to Note about Travel Insurance with COVID-19 Coverage
The extended coverage on COVID-19 is only applicable to insurers who have purchased the insurance within a certain timeframe. Please check carefully to make sure you are eligible.
Also, in order to be eligible for the coverage, in general, you must be tested positive with proof. If you have to cancel your trips, due to a change in government policy at your destination or because your airline cancels your tickets, you are most likely not covered and you should discuss alternatives with your airline/travel agents.
It is also important not to travel against government advice. Otherwise, policy exclusions may apply.
Does Travel Insurance Cover Quarantine?
There are travel insurance policies available that get you covered in case of unexpected expenses if you are required to quarantine in another country. But in order to be eligible, your travel insurance plan must cover COVID-19 related expenses and you must test positive for COVID-19.
If the country that I am due to travel to has an outbreak of COVID-19, am I covered if I cancel my trips?
- It is unlikely that you will be covered. However, it depends on whether or not your insurance covers ‘pandemic’ and its definitions. Therefore, it's important to take out appropriate travel insurance before you go. It’s best to call your insurance provider in this instance to understand more.
Am I covered If the country that I am due to travel to is going into lockdown?
- Most travel insurance policies will not provide cancellation cover if you have to cancel your trip due to a change in government policy at destination. In this instance, you should contact your airline/travel provider as soon as possible to discuss your options for amending your flight tickets.
Can I claim on my travel insurance if I have to cancel my trip because my destination has banned travelers from Hong Kong from entry?
- You should contact the airline and/or travel provider to discuss your options for amending or canceling your trip. In general, your travel insurance policy won’t cover you for cancellation if you can’t travel to your destination due to a ban on Hong Kong residents at your destination.
Can I claim on my travel insurance if my airline/ travel provider has canceled my trip?
- Unfortunately, your travel insurance policy in general won’t cover you for cancellation in such an instance. You should contact the airline and/or travel provider to discuss your options for amending or canceling your trip.
Am I covered if I have tested positive for COVID-19 or am required to quarantine?
- If you are able to provide a medical certificate confirming your diagnosis, you can claim for cancellation costs in line with the terms and conditions of your travel insurance policy. As for quarantine, it depends on whether it is included in your coverage.
Am I covered if I show symptoms of COVID-19 and decide to cancel my trip?
- Yes, if you are able to show a medical certificate confirming your diagnosis, you can claim for cancellation costs.
Am I covered if I contract COVID-19 whilst abroad and need medical treatment?
- Yes, you will be covered in general if you are able to provide medical records, receipt, etc and file a claim within a certain time frame when you are back.
Am I covered for my "medical expenses" if I contract COVID-19 at the destination?
- Yes, it also provides a 24-hour hotline for assistance to support your overseas hospitalization. You can claim for the medical / hospitalization expenses. Any additional accommodation and transportation costs may also be covered if your itinerary needs to be changed because of your health condition / medical treatment.
Am I covered for my "medical expenses" after returning to Hong Kong?
- Most of the insurance policies cover follow-up treatment costs in Hong Kong as well but it is limited to a general of 90 days upon your return.
Can I get a refund if I cancel my travel insurance now?
- No, in general, you can’t get a refund. But some insurance providers may be able to do it out of goodwill in this challenging time.
Will I still be insured if I get travel insurance now?
- Some providers offer an enhanced level of cover, which offers more level of protection than standard policies. However, it comes with a higher premium. Also, it is important to note that you must not be traveling against government travel advice because you won't be covered if you travel during a lockdown or to countries that the government advises you not to travel.